Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ   Website Home Page

Board index » Sword & Fittings » Japanese Swords for Martial Arts

Post subject: martial art polish?
 Post Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:06 am 

i've seem many art nihonto on the net and their polish is really nice but i heard this polish was really easy to scratch...

i would like to see a comparative picture of an art sword and a martial art one is there such a thing somewhere?

Post subject: Re: martial art polish?
 Post Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 2:13 am 

There are folks in Japan who provide "martial arts" polish , but in my limited experience this was little more than sharpening for tameshigiri and was in no way a full, complete and proper polish.

Here in America I would steer clear of anyone offering anything that sounds like this - bargain polishing even for a practice sword is no bargain in the end. After a proper polish to remove scratches and damage from practice you wouldnt want to use it for further training unless it was a modern shinken and your intent was to "use it up" from the get go...

for photos I would look for Kendo/Iaido equipment sellers, Budogu-ya, look for "Shinken" and "Iaito"
-t

www.toryu-mon.com

Post Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:22 pm 

There are ways to harden the surface of the ha so it will less easily scrath during cutting exercises. However, scratches are inevitable and such hybrid polish will create a look very different than traditionally polished blades.

The easiest way to get a scratch-proof blade is simply to burnish the entire ha. However, the hamon will most likely disappear :(

ps. do not try with nihonto else Paul will kick me from the board and come and haunt me. :)

http://www.thesamuraiworkshop.com

Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:41 pm 

I agree with Tom that most "martial arts polish" I've seen are generally just a shortened version of a normal polish, and sometimes with less care and attention paid to them if it's a matter of trying to get a cheaper polish also. The process is just halted at the middle of the shitaji (foundation polish) leaving the surface with a texture of whatever stone was last whether it be kaisei or nagura. While from a practical standpoint it does mask the effects of cutting and economize the process, it also leaves scratches on the surface (of whatever magnitude or size) that can effectively trap contaminates, and also phyiscally increase the surface area of the blade to oxidation and/or corrosion. Additional concern should be directed to the fact that scratches themselves are more than just an aesthetic issue. Targets tend to be soaked in water, which carries disolved salts in varied degrees and the targets themselves whether wara, tatami, bamboo, etc., also add a measure of corrosive elements. The stone scratches in a short polished blade harbor these things and can magnify issues.

Martial arts grade swords that are proper and intended for cutting are no less prone and will scratch whether of hybid polish or not. Cutting is simply rough on any finish. Again, the corrosion concerns should be giving more attention in my opinion (highly polished or not). A swordsman that cuts a wet target and immediately replaces the sword to the saya, has now just contaminated the saya. Even a quick wipe may not clean the blade completely, and if it's in partial polish, it's likely that it won't be.

Cutting brings more concerns than just scratches.

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2011 3:42 pm 

useful information thank you all :)

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:19 am 

Hello friends,

Considered among the most efficient and deadly weapons from the medieval world, the nihonto, or Japanese katana, occupies a prominent role in contemporary sword arts. While traditionally considered a highly sacred and specialized task, the art and practice of polishing a katana can be commonly performed today. Depending on the state of your sword and the level of polish it requires, a minimal of supplies can be used to clean and polish your samurai sword.

Thanks and Regards
Daniel Rizzo

Post Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:26 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Daniel,

Sorry, I am going to have to cut you short again. Many of the members here know quite a bit about Japanese swords. I don't think people want to be running out trying out kits on traditional Japanese swords for martial arts that cost between $6000-$10,000 USD a pop.

It is not recommended that people try to polish their own swords. Cleaning with uchiko and oil, or silicon cloths, is fine. We do not endorse amateur polishing of traditional (genuine) Japanese swords here.

Best

Facebook

Board index » Sword & Fittings » Japanese Swords for Martial Arts