Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ   Website Home Page

Board index » Sword & Fittings » Japanese Swords for Martial Arts

Post subject: using sword with bend
 Post Posted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:05 pm 

Hey guys,

After many years of use in tameshigiri, I've noticed my shinken has a very slight kink or twist in about the centre of the blade. Don't know when this occured as I've cut with it very often. It doesn't affect noto as the blade still goes in the saya without undue friction,so want to hear from anyone else who has this happen or knows if it's ok to keep cutting with the blade like this. Would a slightly "wavy" blade be ok to cut with?

Regards,

Jeremy

Post subject: Re: using sword with bend
 Post Posted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:36 am 
Site Admin

Hi Jeremy,

I'm sure that there are plenty of people practicing with wavy blades. However, my immediate reaction would be that it would affect your judgement of ha-suji. The line of the cutting edge at the point where you are cutting may no longer be in line with the ha-side of the nakago. Therefore, you may be compensating by rotating your tsuka slightly from it's usual correct cutting position, which could either lead into a bad habit that you would only notice when you change blades, or get it fixed. On the other hand, you may be experiencing that your cuts are not as clean as they were as your angle of cut is slightly off.

Best

Facebook

Post Posted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:39 am 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Paul. Funny enough I have also borrowed blades from others and haven't noticed a difference between the wavy blade and straight blade really, mind you the twist seems to be only about a 1mm off and with more and more practise I have under my belt , I've started using the monouchi to cut with which is the right portion of the blade to cut with. Im interested to hear others experience as well.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Attachments:
File comment: My sword
sword.JPG
sword.JPG [ 62.54 KiB | Viewed 6606 times ]

Post Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:22 pm 

It is time to retire this sword. Whether you adapt consciously or not I agree it may cause bad habits down the line. John

Post Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:16 am 

In my few visits with Hataya Sensei and his dojo in Japan, swords were bent and straightened almost daily. If a blade was to be restored it could be carefully straightened, made perfect and left alone. Many I saw were given a quick "twist" over the stones and sent back into service. I don't really see a bend there and doubt it is affecting your cutting too much. If your blade is showing delamination, wrinkles or cracks in the affected then I would say it is time to retire the piece.

-t

www.toryu-mon.com

Board index » Sword & Fittings » Japanese Swords for Martial Arts