Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ   Website Home Page

Board index » The Japanese Sword Craftsmens Forum » Tsukamaki-shi

Post subject: 2012 summer trip to Japan
 Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:47 pm 

Dear Kensen

I will be in Japan this summer and if possible would like to visit you to thank you for your time and answers on this board.
Maybe dinner or beer-ru (if I have that right).

I would also like to visit the Ichinose family of tsukamaki-shi. Do you have
any contact information?

My wife and I have received a teaching fellowship to take a two-week trip to Japan to study metal patina and cloth-dyeing techniques with traditional artisans, Then we will using the information gained to develop projects for our high school science classes incorporating these techniques.

We plan on traveling in the Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto areas.

I am seeking contacts for any artisan that would be willing to talk about their technique that could be shared with a high school Chemistry/Physical science class.
We will also be looking for someone that might be willing to translate and deal with the vocabulary needed in a background of chemistry and the Japanese arts involved.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, or introductions would be greatly appreciated. Either contact me on the list or to my email
jswords@mcn.net

Thanks
david

Post subject: Re: 2012 summer trip to Japan
 Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:14 pm 

Dear David san.

I sent the message to you.

Thank you.

KENSEN

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:03 am 

Dear Kensen

I lost some email files but
I am now in Tokyo.

Please email me when you can at jswords@mcn.net

thanks
david

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:32 pm 

Dear David san.

I sent the message to you.

Thank you.

KENSEN

Post Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:25 am 

Dear David san.

Was my talk consulted?
I am glad if more helpful.
Please give me the question by e-mail.
I do my best and send an answer.

Thank you.

KENSEN

Post Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:35 am 

Dear David san.

Please take care and return.
Let's meet again.

Thank you.

KENSEN

Post Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:45 am 

Dear All,

I want to thank all that emailed with ideas for my Japan trip. I was able to meet a number of craftsmen and learned a lot. Seven days in Tokyo where we went to the Sword museum and two different sword shops, three different supply stores, Indigo dyeing store and workshop, paper shop with origami, and a Forest Beer garden. The Beer garden was great and we had great company. For 3,500 yen you had all you can eat and drink for two hours. You did have to cook your own food but it was good.

Then to Kyoto for three days where we got to do indigo dyeing at a very nice shop called Aizenkobo. It was great. Then to a number of shops, some with swords, and a paper crafting store/workshop where they used stencils to get great looking paper.

Then to a nice couple of days in Kamakura where we got to look at more swords.

If the weather had not been so hot and humid, it would have been an easier time but as it was it was a great trip, and by the time we returned to Tokyo for our flight home, my wife and I were just worn out. I still have not been able to change my sleeping patterns and find 3 am a great time to get things done!!

I found out while in Japan that at the Northern California Japanese Sword Club - San Francisco Token Kai 2-5 August 2012, Robert Hughes of Keichodo (Kamakura, Japan) will be bringing two Japanese craftsmen who do Japanese sword restoration: Mr. Ikeda, a sword polisher and Mr. Otsuka, a tsukamaki-shi and koshirae maker.

Mr. Nagamasa Ikeda will be opening windows on "out of polish" swords. He will open windows about 8 inches in length and feels he can work on perhaps seven to nine swords during the scheduled Token Kai. He will be charging $200 for this service. This can be deducted from the cost of a full polish should the owner wish to pursue such services in Japan.

The other craftsman is Mr. Hironobu Otsuka who will be doing tsuka-maki. He should be able to do 3 to 4 tsuka while he is at the show and will also be taking orders for tsuka-maki to be finished in Japan and shipped back.

These services are available by contacting Robert Hughes directly by e-mail at: keichodo@yahoo.com. If interested, please make a reservation. Robert will be available to discuss your restoration needs at the San Francisco show and will be happy to introduce these two traditional artisans. He will handle the registration and deregistration issues for the import and export of swords into Japan.

As a non-Japanese craftsman, I will also be doing tsuka-maki at the show and many of you have walked by and seen my work in past years. I have just finished two weeks in Japan talking to a number of tsuka-maki-shi to improve my work. I visited Ichinose sensei, my sensei--from the two Chicago workshops in the mid 1980's. Among the other tsuka-maki-shi I visited was Kensen - Mr. Iiyama who often posts on the The Japanese Sword Forum. www.thejapanesesword.com/forum/. He was very nice and I learned a lot. I also had the pleasure of hearing a critique of my work by Mr. Hiroi, recently retired from the Cultural Agency in charge of recognizing important cultural achievements (including national treasures). He provided valuable feedback. To apply what I have learned, I will be entering the Nihonto Bunka Shinko Kyokai craftsmen contest again next year. If you would like to be on my list you can email me at jsword@mcn.net

Thanks again
David McDonald
jswords@mcn.net

Board index » The Japanese Sword Craftsmens Forum » Tsukamaki-shi