Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ   Website Home Page

Board index » Classifieds & Events » Events

Post subject: 2011 NCJSC To-ken Taikai
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:50 am 

http://www.ncjsc.org/SF_token_kai.htm

All -
Last minute reminder, the 2011 Northern California Japanese Sword Club To-Ken Taikai is just a week away. Less than that really. The largest sword show and sale outside of Japan, featuring dealers from Japan, Europe, Australia and all over the United States and Canada. In addition to over 100 dealers tables there will be educational events presented by the Nihon Bijutsu To-ken Hozon Kyokai U.S. Shibu, the Nihon To-ken Hozon Kai, and the Japanese Sword Society of the United States. Attendance was up last year, the hotel is filling up and we expect this year to be another busy and exciting event.
If you all are anywhere near San Francisco at this time of year you should not miss it! I look forward to seeing you all there,
-t

www.toryu-mon.com

Post subject: Re: 2011 NCJSC To-ken Taikai
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:56 am 

A terrific weekend!
Lots of great items and all the great old faces seemed to be there as well. Bob Haynes was doing tsuba appraisals and signing books, David Mcdonald was wrapping handles and you can see the wonderful artwork that was taking shape at the Toraba table. The NTHK held a kantei and gave a presentation on Ko-mino fittings. While this has been the subject of past presentations there were some exciting editions this year including a rare Ko-mino kashira in the shape of a kabuto-gane.

The NBTHK display of the 16 generations of the Goto family was IMHO unrivaled by anything put on in Japan. Not only were the pieces spectacular individually the variety of items and themes blew holes in the notion that all the Goto did was make gold shishi and dragons. The detailed explanations by Robert Benson and Mike Yamazaki represented a master's course in the study of these amazing artists. This was likely the best display the NBTHK/AB has put on to date.

There seem to be lots of buying and selling, I heard many sellers say they had successful weekends and I cannot recall anyone saying they were disappointed. The registration staff reported 170 something walk-ins on Saturday, in addition to a number of 3 day passes sold on Friday, I think you can see from the photos how busy it was.

I have posted a few photos of things that caught my eye on my website along with some photos taken by friends; http://tinyurl.com/3zgfmvc
Please visit and feel free to post questions or feedback here...
-t

PS Best in Show goes to Andy Quirt's Oku Motohira
Tom Helm
www.toryu-mon.com
"Moriamur, et in media arma ruamus"
- Vergil

www.toryu-mon.com

Board index » Classifieds & Events » Events