Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ   Website Home Page

Board index » General Japanese Sword Forum » General discussions

Post subject: New Book By Yoshindo Yoshihara
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:27 am 

I just wanted to take a moment to mention a new book that will be out very shortly. The book is called The Art of the Japanese Sword. It was written by Yoshindo Yoshihara and Leon and Hiroko Kapp. I have been reading through my copy and it is nothing short of fantastic. It’s due to be out in September but I believe it is available by pre order on Amazon. I feel the book is the best yet covering the subject of Japanese sword smithing. It delves deeper into all aspects touched on in the “The Craft” and others yet mentioned. The book is in large format and the interesting and educational text and supported by a wealth of stunning, all color photography masterly taken by Aram Compeau. I know how hard they worked in putting this book together. I think there efforts will be evident to all who read it. For those with an interest in Nihonto or swordsmithing, I couldn’t recommend this book more.
The producer is Paolo Saviolo of Saviolo Publishing House, Italy.

There are times when I am guilty of not checking replies to postings, so I apologized in advance for slow or absent replies. Those with questions or comments may also contact me direct by email.

Regards

Anthony

Post subject: Re: New Book By Yoshindo Yoshihara
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:15 pm 

I recently purchased a copy of The Art of the Japanese Sword from Amazon. com I learned that the producer is still offering a special limited edition that is both serial numbered and also autographed by Yoshindo Yoshihara.

This is the 4th book authored by the Kapps and Yoshindo Yoshihara. Unlike the other 3 books, this new book is filled with pictures- lots and lots of pictures. I believe Anthony D's review pretty much sums it up.

I recently had an opportunity of standing next to a traditional Japanese sword smith while he made a tanto. First made his own steel. He then forged a billet that was drawn out into a tanto after it was folded many times. I was with the smith the entire time and it was an experience I will never forget.

This book is the only one I've come across that captures every step of the process with pictures- lots and lots of pictures. Working in the shop I ended up covered with charcoal dust and sparks as the smith forged a billet into a blade. The nice thing about reading this book is the opportunity to observe every step without being soaked in sweat, charcoal dust, and being hit by flying slag sparks as the smith hammers the steel.

For anyone interested in obtaining an autographed limited-edition copy, here is the producer's web site: theartoftheJapanesesword.com Amazon now has first edition books on hand for immediate shipping.

Post subject: Re: New Book By Yoshindo Yoshihara
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:24 am 

@backhertz, isn't that one of the best parts of the process? (^_^)

@Anthony D. i have "the art" and quite like the visuals, its a beautiful book...how would you compare it with "the craft" from a technical or content standpoint? similar material or need to have both? what type of reader would each book be best suited for?

yoroshiku!

Board index » General Japanese Sword Forum » General discussions