Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ   Website Home Page

Board index » Sword & Fittings » Japanese Art fittings

Post subject: Menuki question
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:16 pm 

What does this menuki depict?

Post subject: Re: Menuki question
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:02 pm 

I know the suggestions you have received before, but, thought it was a cache of food wrapped in textile as might be an offering or gift, signifying abundance and plenty, good luck. John

Post Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:49 pm 

Stuart wrote:
I know the suggestions you have received before, but, thought it was a cache of food wrapped in textile as might be an offering or gift, signifying abundance and plenty, good luck. John

Yes, John, I am still looking for suggestions - yours is very interesting - thank you. Currently on my web page I say it depicts a snail (katatsumuri) but I am not at all confident of that.

James

Last edited by jamesicus on Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:15 pm 

james

definitiely not a snail i checked your website but was not sure where to look, do you have other picyures of this menuki?

-t

www.toryu-mon.com

Post Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:25 pm 

Toryu wrote:
james

definitiely not a snail i checked your website but was not sure where to look, do you have other picyures of this menuki?

-t

Thank you for responding to my query, Thomas - I apologize for the vague reference I provided and for the lack of better pictures.

Here are close-up pictures of both menuki taken from different angles:

I hope they offer better clues. Please let me know if you would like additional photos. I appreciate any and all information you can provide.

Added by edit:

Now I can see it is not a snail -- a cricket or cicada maybe?

Post Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:51 pm 

Maruboshi himono, a dried salted fish was often given as shrine offerings, wrapped in textile for presentation. This looks like this when you look at the brocade finish of the wrapping and the protruding fish tail. Often other food items were contained in the little packets. Of course this could be a representational embellishment and not textile, still it doesn't suggest a living creature to me. I could be wholly wrong too. John

Post Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:48 pm 

Stuart wrote:
Maruboshi himono, a dried salted fish was often given as shrine offerings, wrapped in textile for presentation. This looks like this when you look at the brocade finish of the wrapping and the protruding fish tail. Often other food items were contained in the little packets. Of course this could be a representational embellishment and not textile, still it doesn't suggest a living creature to me. I could be wholly wrong too. John

Once again, John, I thank you for your much appreciated input - I do remember shrine offerings, but only vaguely for it was so long ago and I can't remember the details. Your suggestions do make sense to though.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:00 am 

James,
i see a branch and blossoms and the brocade that John mentions. i dont see any animal parts. can you manage photos of the menuki from the side as if they were unmounted and sitting flat on a table? this is looking like it might be unsolveable from afar.

and please call me tom or toryu,
-t

www.toryu-mon.com

Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:04 pm 

Toryu wrote:
.......... can you manage photos of the menuki from the side as if they were unmounted and sitting flat on a table? this is looking like it might be unsolveable from afar.

and please call me tom or toryu,
-t

Thanks Tom. I am afraid the photo views you suggest are not feasible for me. I also think a definitive identification of the menuki may not be possible at present. I do wish to thank you - and John - for your efforts.

Edit added: I have included a note to the above effect on this web page which I was remiss in identifying earlier.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:04 pm 

Apologies for digging up an old thread, but I thought perhaps the people taking part in this particular conversation may be able to help me.

I started a thread about menuki placement but I've yet to get any responses.

I'm trying to understand the placement because I have an Iaito which has them placed under the palms, and know of other examples too. However in the main I see them them reversed (under the finger tips).

I'm interested in the historical placement, and reason for it.

Anybody able to offer any insight please?
Thanks.

Sam.

Board index » Sword & Fittings » Japanese Art fittings