Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ   Website Home Page

Board index » Sword & Fittings » Japanese Art Swords

Post subject: the left handed smith
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:57 pm 

if the topic is not in the right place please move it (was not sure where to put it)...

in my greetings topic i talked about a sword and i would like to know if there are more pieces of the same smith and more information about him...

unfortunately, i don't even have the money to buy books because i'm remounting one of my production swords (yes i know this forum isn't about that but at least you know why i can' buy books yet right ;) )

so if you have links or infos found about him it would be really nice to share.

all i know is this from the site with one of his blade sold at 19 500 euro

pictures: http://www.japanszwaard.nl/zc1.html

data:
Shinogi Zukuri No-dachi
Total lenght include Koshirae 132.0 cm
cutting edge : 90.5 cm
Wide : 2.90 cm
thick : 0.9 cm
sori : 2.0 cm
Hamon : Gunome Midare with Nie and Niedeki.
Jihada : Itame and Masame with big Jinie

and text with it concerning the sword and the smith:

''Nihonto - Samurai sword nr.: ZC 1

This is a very good No-Dachi sword made by Takahashi Naganobu with NBTHK Hozon papers on it.
The sword is Mumei and Ubu (not shortened). Takahashi Naganobu was present at the late Edo period (about 1850) and was a member of the Mon of the fifth generation Jakushu.
After that he entered the Mon of Chounsai Tsunatoshi and became a Han smith of the Matsue Han.
He made especialy big swords with Toran / O-Midare Hamon and was a very skilfull smith, the very special thing about him, he was left handed (an exception, all Japanese are right handed)

This sword was made as HONOTO, a present sword to the temple or shrine praying peaceful, victory, health, long-live and so on.)
The Koshirae is very special, it is a Aikuchi Koshirae (without Tsuba). it has F&K in black laqure, the same as the saya. The menuki are gold dragons, it also has a big old Kogai. The Koshirae is has a unusuall shape and is realy perfect condition.
The Nodachi has this Koshirae and a ShiraSaya with Tsunagi. The Habaki is a 2 piece one and has gold foil skin.
This is an imposing sword in perfect condition and polish, fawless blade, include a magnificent Koshirae.''

Price Euro 19500,-

i hope there's more info and pieces of him because i really like his work :D

Post subject: Re: the left handed smith
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:23 pm 

É,

Quote:
(an exception, all Japanese are right handed)

No, unless they escape statistic and are a particular Breed :D

Post Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:38 pm 

Nowadays I can't say for sure but the practice to see left handed as a sort of handicap was quite common. It has mainly to do with calligraphy; the order and sense of each trait is codified by inviolable rules, not like alphabet.
This means that left handed kodomo may have had some bad experience during school days, and may have become able to use both hands.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:43 pm 

Of course Lorenzo, we have thousand of them in France but saying that all people are right handed is at least a shorcut, statistically speaking (even genetically) its an heresy :)
PS: I am a genuine right handed guy

Post Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:46 pm 

Well that for sure. My father is left handed, and it seems this practises in the past was common here in Italy too; he was forced to be a "right handed" :?

Post Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:22 pm 

my father was forced to be right handed too (those nuns with the rules are quite frightening :lol: )

i heard that if you are left handed and learning japanese swordsmanship you'll have a serious handicap in the beginning (because it is practiced right handed) but will have strong strikes when used with the right hand ( can prove to be an advantage)

anyway does anyone have info on this smith or recognize the name? pictures of his work other than the one i shown maybe?

Post Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:05 am 

É,

Here is the entry for this smith extract from Fujishiro's Book :

NAGANOBU TAKAHASHI [TENPÔ 1830 MUSASHI] SHINSHINTÔ JÔSAKU
He is a seventeenth generation descendant of Wakashû Fuyuhiro, and is called Takahashi Rihei. He was in the Chôunsai Tsunatoshi Mon, and became the swordsmith of the Matsue Han. He lived in Edo Kikumachi Hirakawa-chô, and there are works with the mei of FUYUHIRO. He died in Matsue on Meiji Jûninen (1878) Gogatsu Nijûshichinichi (5/27) at the age of 72. There are many of his works with a uniform choji ha with nioi-nie fukai ashi iri. His style generally resembles that of Tsunatoshi, and there are also horimono of ken and ryû.
Signatures: OITE TÔTO UNSHÛ JÛ NAGANOBU TSUKURI
NAGANOBU TSUKURI
CHÔSHINSAI FUYUHIRO
UNSHÛ HAN FUJIWARA NAGANOBU SAKU

Page 169
Plate I: TENPÔ JÛGONEN NIGATSU HI
Plate II: OITE TÔTO UNSHÛ JÛ NAGANOBU TSUKURI
Caption: SHOKI MEI, Mei in early period.
Plate III: BUNKYU NINEN SHÔGATSU KICHIJITSU
Plate IV: FUYUHIRO JÛNANADAI MAGO, 17th generation grandson of Fuyuhiro
UNSHÛ HAN FUJIWARA NAGANOBU SAKU
The yasurime is katte-agari, and is the opposite of the ordinary yasurime. This different style of yasurime is easily made only by a left handed person, and thus Naganobu is thought to have been left handed.

Board index » Sword & Fittings » Japanese Art Swords